Kamiooka: ZelCash Update
Kamiooka is an important step for Zel. The upgrade will be activated on block 372,500 on July 2, 2019. It will introduce a number of improvements in the Zel network and ZelNodes.
The main new features of ZelCash hardfork are as follows.
- The launch of a ZelHash PoW algorithm – a modified Equihash 125_4 that will protect the network against FPGA and ASIC once and for all. ZelHash will be supported by Gminer, lolMiner, and MiniZ.
- Changes in ZelNodes payment and voting systems – optimization of the number of votes per tier and sync update in case of an error.
- Zcash v2.0.5-2 integration – Zel continues to adopt useful improvements that Zcash developers create for their project.
Important note: It would be impossible to rent hashing power on Nicehash after the fork. It could be temporarily, but it’s still not clear when Nicehash is going to add Equihash 125_4 on the list of supported algorithms.
What Is ZelHash
The most important feature of Kamiooka is the new algorithm, so let’s take a closer look at it. But first some context.
From the very first days of the network existence, Zel developers have been fighting against potential centralization (ASIC miners). The project was launched on the standard algorithm Equihash 200_9. Soon ASICs learned how to work with it and there came Anminer Z11 and others. This forced creators to switch to Zhash/Equihash 144_5.
But it didn’t last very long. Nowadays there is a risk that FPGA and ASIC for Zhash may be launched, so Zel decided to create its own PoW algorithm with the assistance from a lolMiner representative known as Lolliedieb.
By the way, for now, there is no ASIC for Equihash 144_5, so ZEL developers definitely know something that we don’t.
The new algorithm will be activated together with other network upgrades, including the updated Zcash codebase that will allow to inherit innovative features from the Zcash Co. team.
ZelHash is still based on Equihash and uses “n” and “k” values for 125_4. This is not a revolutionary update, because some coins already use the same variant. However, the new algorithm will give the possibility to anticipate ASIC manufacturers thus destroying the risks of centralization.
The key features of the ZelHash algorithm are as follows.
- Mining will be available for both Nvidia and AMD.
- The reference miner will get open source software for future development.
- No renting power from Nicehash and other possibilities for attacks are available. At least that’s what developers say.
- The number of confirmations for exchanges may be reduced in the future.
- The size of the block header will be minimized which will slightly improve the blockchain performance.
The importance of ZelHash as a PoW algorithm is linked to some changes introduced in the time/memory trade-off schema. These changes make FPGA and ASIC much less efficient thus protecting the future of GPU as the main tool for ZEL mining.
Considering that ZelHash will be available for both Nvidia and AMD, but is still an Equihash variant, Nvidia is likely to be at an advantage. According to the developers, up-to-date hashrates will be published before the upgrade.
GPU Hashrates for ZelCash Mining on Equihash 125_4
Nvidia and AMD graphic cards manage the following hashrates:
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ~ 22.3 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB ~ 32.9 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070Ti 8GB ~ 40.1 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ~ 42.3 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB ~ 56.9Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB ~ 35.5 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB ~ 45.3 Sol/s
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB ~ 58.9 Sol/s
- AMD Radeon RX570 8GB ~ 15 Sol/s
- AMD Radeon RX580 8GB ~ 17 Sol/s
- AMD Radeon VEGA 64 8GB ~ 28 Sol/s
How to Prepare for ZelCash Hardfork
The Zel update will affect different types of network members. Let’s go through the key ones.
ZelCash Miners on 2Miners
2Miners users have nothing to worry about: the pool will automatically switch to the new algorithm. Just make sure to take care of miners. Don’t forget that ZelHash will be supported by Gminer, lolMiner and MiniZ.
Here is the basic setup for Gminer:
miner.exe --algo 125_4 --server zel.2miners.com --port 9090 --user YOUR_ADDRESS.RIG_ID --pass x
Download it from our Quick Start archive. The archive password is 2miners
Read more: How to Mine ZelCash? ZEL Mining Profitability, Miner Setup & Main Features
ZelCore users with auto-update feature must also upgrade ZelNode, so that they could interact with each other.
Same thing for this wallet. You must upgrade to the latest version after the ZelNode update.
Restart your ZelNode from the control wallet after the update.
If you used a script to launch your nodes, the following commands will help you update your ZelNode.
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo systemctl stop zelcash $ sudo apt-get upgrade $ sudo reboot -n
If you launched your node manually, you can use this manual.